I love this game. The theme is right where I like it, and the positional play with simple rules keeps me playing. A solo variant that offers a good challenge was always going to be a winner, and this ruleset invited a variant. I am finding this variant suitably tough (!). If you find a strategy that guarantees a win, or if you have any rules questions, do let me know.
- I hope you enjoy these rules. Ricky, Box of Delights
- The King Is Dead Solitaire Rules
Set up as per 2-player.
You are the 1st player and the 2nd player is The Saxons.
Shuffle the Saxon hand of action cards and place in a face-down stack to form the Saxon Action Deck,
You are always the first player to act.
The Saxons will do nothing until you Pass.
As soon as you Pass, you may NOT play another Action Card during this Power Struggle. Instead, reveal the top card of the Saxon Action Deck. Perform this action, on behalf of the Saxon player, in such a way as to, in priority order:
(1) remove a faction majority in the Region being contested
(2) remove a faction majority in another Region
(3) minimise a majority to the narrowist of margins (e.g. reduce a 2-0 majority to 2-1 before reducing a 4-1 majority to a 4-2 majority; or add to a 2-1 majority before adding to a 3-1 majority) Note: the Saxons will always reduce or increase an existing majority before creating a new majority.
In the case of equally viable options, act upon the Region(s) that are nearest the top of the order, starting with the region below the one being contested.
The Saxons will then summon 1 follower from the board, using the same logic as described above, before resolving the Power Struggle.
Note: when the Saxons play “The Crown”, and if able, place the Saxon crown on the current region (or the next in line if the current region already has a crown) and swap it with the first region with no Faction majority (and no crown). Do nothing if there is no such region.
Winning The Game
If an INVASION occurs, you immediately lose the game.
If the game ends without an Invasion then determine the winner as per the regular rules.